- Role: Strengthening Europe's defences against infectious diseases
- Director: Andrea Ammon
- Established in: 2005
- Number of staff: 290
- Location: Stockholm (Sweden)
- Website: ECDC
What it does
- Analyse and interpret data from EU countries on 52 communicable diseases and conditions, using the European Surveillance System (TESSy).
- Provide scientific advice to the EU governments and institutions.
- Ensure early detection and analysis of emerging threats to the EU.
- Coordinate the European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training (EPIET) and the European Programme for Public Health Microbiology Training (EUPHEM).
- Help EU governments prepare for outbreaks of disease.
- Organise ESCAIDE, the European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology, an annual 3-day scientific conference.
- the public health community in Europe, in particular
- national & sub-national public health bodies in the EU/EEA
- the EU institutions
- other European policymakers
- public health professionals, researchers, international organisations & national authorities outside Europe.