- Role: supports the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) by providing services based on space assets and collateral data
- Director: Sorin Ducaru
- Partners: European External Action Service, European Commission, European Defence Agency, European Space Agency and other institutions and international organisations
- Established in: 2002 (Western European Union Satellite Centre from 1993 to 2001)
- Number of staff: 145
- Location: Torrejón de Ardoz (Spain)
- Website: EU SatCen
The European Union Satellite Centre (SatCen) supports EU decision-making and action in the context of Europe’s Common Foreign and Security Policy. This means providing products and services based on exploiting space assets and collateral data, including satellite imagery and aerial imagery, and related services.
What it does
Under the supervision of the Political and Security Committee and the operational direction of the EU's High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, SatCen provides decision-makers with early warning of potential crises as well as global situational awareness. This enables the EU to take diplomatic, economic and humanitarian measures in good time, including generic planning for intervention.
- the European External Action Service (EEAS)
- EU countries
- EU missions and operations
- the European Commission
- non-EU countries and international organisations, such as the United Nations, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
- European Union Satellite Centre
- Phone number
- +34 91 678 60 00
- Fax number
- +34 91 678 60 06
- Postal address
- Apdo. de Correos 511, 28850 Torrejón de Ardoz, Madrid, Spain