- Role: Support the implementation of the EU’s Justice and Home Affairs policies by managing large-scale IT systems
- Director: Krum Garkov
- Established in: 2011, operational since 1 December 2012
- Number of staff: 137
- Location: Seat: Tallinn (Estonia), operational site: Strasbourg (France), back-up site: Sankt Johann im Pangau (Austria)
- Website: eu-LISA
eu-LISA provides technological support for the EU countries’ efforts to make Europe safer.
What it does
It manages large-scale integrated IT systems that
- maintain internal security in the Schengen countries
- enable Schengen countries to exchange visa data
- determine which EU country is responsible for examining a particular asylum application.
It helps ensure Europeans can travel freely within the EU, without compromising Europe’s security.
The agency also tests new technologies to help put in place a more modern, efficient and secure border management system in the EU. It coordinated the testing and follow-up of the Smart Borders pilot project, the analysis of results and reporting on the pilot project, in close cooperation with the participating EU countries and the European institutions.
EU residents, who can travel freely and safely within the EU.
European Agency for the operational management of large-scale IT systems in the area of freedom, security and justice (eu-LISA)
- European Agency for the operational management of large-scale IT systems in the area of freedom, security and justice (eu-LISA)
- infoeulisa [dot] europa [dot] eu
- Postal address
- Vesilennuki 5, 10415 Tallinn Estonia, Estonia
- Social media