ACER helps ensure the single European market in gas and electricity functions properly. It assists national regulatory authorities in performing their regulatory function at European level and, where necessary, coordinates their work.
More specifically, ACER:
- complements and coordinates the work of national regulatory authorities
- helps formulate European network rules
- where appropriate, takes binding individual decisions on terms and conditions for access and operational security for cross border infrastructure
- advises European institutions on issues relating to electricity and natural gas
- monitors the internal markets in electricity and natural gas and reports on its findings
- monitors wholesale energy markets to detect and deter market abuse, in close collaboration with national regulatory authorities (it took on this function in 2012 under EU Regulation 1227/2011 on wholesale energy market integrity & transparency (REMIT).