- Role: provides evidence to support gender equality
- Director: Virginija Langbakk
- Set up: 2010
- Staff: 50
- Location: Vilnius (Lithuania)
- Website: European Institute for Gender Equality
What it does
The European Institute for Gender Equality (EIGE) is an EU agency working to make gender equality a reality in the EU and beyond. For this, it provides research, data and good practices by:
- Producing studies and collects statistics about gender equality in the EU.
- Monitoring how the EU meets its international commitment for gender equality, referred to as the Beijing Platform for Action, and produces an annual progress report on this.
- Working to stop violence against women and coordinates the European White Ribbon Campaign to engage men in the cause.
- Sharing its knowledge and online resources and supports the EU institutions, EU Member States and stakeholders from many different fields in their efforts to address gender inequalities in Europe and beyond.
EIGE’s products include the following:
- Gender Equality Index: shows gender equality trends every two years
- Gender mainstreaming platform: links gender equality to various areas in society
- Gender Statistics Database: gives gender-based facts and figures
- Glossary and Thesaurus: explains gender equality concepts
- Resource and Documentation Centre: provides an online library with 500 000 documents including publications not available in other public libraries.
As the European knowledge centre of gender equality, EIGE:
- Helps the EU institutions and the EU Member States to take informed and evidence-based decisions that consider the gender perspective.
- Centralises information on gender equality for the benefit of civil society organisations, academia, international organisations and social partners.
- Provides inspiration to anyone interested in gender equality.