Leading innovation through EU research
Investing in research and innovation is investing in Europe’s future. It helps us to compete globally and preserve our unique social model. It improves the daily lives of millions of people here in Europe and around the world, helping to solve some of our biggest societal challenges.
EU support for research and innovation adds value by encouraging cooperation between research teams across countries and disciplines that is vital in making breakthrough discoveries.
Through its multiannual research and innovation framework programmes, the EU provides funding to:
- strengthen the EU’s position in science
- strengthen industrial innovation, including investment in key technologies, greater access to capital and support for small businesses
- address major social concerns, such as climate change, sustainable transport and renewable energy
- ensure technological breakthroughs are developed into viable products with real commercial potential – by building partnerships with industry and governments
- step up international cooperation on research & innovation
- Main EU funding programme for research and innovation
- All funding opportunities for research and innovation
EU research and innovation activities are managed, through a number of departments, agencies and bodies, and results, knowledge and data are shared through: